Tuesday, June 28, 2016

My Happiness Project Attempt- 3

To listen to Episode 3 click HERE. Like always, just listen to it and don't take my word for it.  This one is pretty full of rambling thoughts anyway. :)

I was going to sit and type up my thoughts on the episode 3 podcast but I guess I didn’t download that one to listen to on the flight and I can't figure out the wifi in the air. I will just go off of memory and call it good.  I remember it talked about the donut bringer and how when people bring donuts into an office setting it can be really annoying because then the whole day is spent avoiding the donuts and challenging your willpower.  First of all, I don’t work in an office environment anymore but I do remember those experiences.  I never had it happen enough to the bothered by it though.  I think that they probably are passionate about it too because they are abstainers instead of moderators.  Myself, as a moderator, I am able to resist if I want to, or just have a little if I want.  I could see how it would get annoying if it was often.  I probably am the wife that sends stuff into work like they mentioned.  I’d like to do it a lot more often but I really hate cooking in my current kitchen.  I really, really miss baking and cooking.  I also am having trouble keeping food in the house.  The kids eat sooooo much.  And soooo fast.   I don’t know how I’m going to manage with 4 boys when they are all older! I’m going to be poor and have to shop every single day. 

I remember them talking about hiking and how in California anything outside is hiking.  That was funny.  It made me think a lot about Jake and Teresa.  I have always noticed a difference in when I am outside, but I don’t really need to be doing anything, I just need sunshine.  Teresa and Jake are really affected by the hike part of it.  They find it invigorating.  I want to do more of it though.  Their love of it has made me want to do it more.  I’ve even told Jake I would go backpacking with him at some point.  That’s way more than I ever thought I’d give him. J I’m more of a hotel girl.  I do think there is a lot of value in being outside and exploring nature.  The learning and exploring is the part that I like the most.  It must be because I like to learn all the time. 

At one point she mentions being annoyed with a security worker that asked to check her bag one day when he usually wouldn't and about how she was kind of rude to him.  I get that everyone has their moments I guess, but in reality I just don’t get it.  I think I’m incapable of this. Even when I’m upset about something I think I am passive about it so I don’t even show it or let people know.  Maybe I should a little more.  I’ve talked about my StrengthsfinderStrengths before and one of mine is Connectedness.  I’ve come to learn that I think this is where a lot of my niceness comes from.  I see everything as being connected and affecting other things.  If I am rude to a worker, then they will in turn be rude to someone and it continues on from there.  I’d rather change someones day for the better.  It’s taken me years to realize that I’m super different and unique than other people in this department.  When I was in New York and on the subway, my friend told someone to their face they were being rude, a total stranger, and I was so uncomfortable.  I couldn’t control myself, I was laughing so uncomfortably it made me cry.  I was laugh/crying out of embarrassment for this stranger I had never seen, never would see, and who in fact was rude to us in the first place.  My racing heart and worries about this strangers day went on for the next hour or so. 

The challenge for this episode was making your bed.  Right away I thought of Flylady and how it’s one of the first baby steps she teaches.  I really do notice a difference when I do this and have tried but often I fall off the wagon.  Honestly, when I make my bed I tend to put stuff on it like folded clothes and things I need to organize so it almost makes the room messier but it does make me more efficient.  It makes me want to clean things up and get the room in order.  Maybe it does start off my day right but I’ve never taken notice of it before.  I’m going to continue trying.  I mostly notice that I enjoy doing it for Jake.  He doesn’t say anything about it, the same way her husband doesn’t, but I like to think that he notices and likes it.  We just changed out sheets last night and there is such a great feeling of crawling into a well made and clean bed with fresh sheets.  It’s invigorating and it helps make for a good night’s sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment