Friday, September 5, 2008

Yes...I am still alive...and we do still have a computer despite what you might have thought


Man, it has been a long time since we have posted ANYTHING!!! I have a super long list of posts that I have wanted to do in the time we were missing, and those will hopefully come soon, but the start of school has been a real adjustment for all of us.

I know that it's probably not very exciting for anyone, but for documentation purposes I continue... I work on campus as a Community Assistant (CA), and we used to be Resident Assistants (RAs). Right before school starts, even if you have been through it in the past, we all go through two weeks of training for the job. There's so much stuff packed into it, I could never go over it all in one post. Just touching the tip of the iceberg...we learn about: how to recognize depression, and other things to watch for, how to recognize and break up parties, the protocol and ins and outs of the job, and the most important... how to work together as a team. By the end of training, we are all tired and sick of each other. My job is supposed to be an average of twenty hours a week. Sometimes, like during Christmas time, we have 10 hours, but it all averages out because of how busy we are at other times. To give you an idea of how busy I have been with work, when I submitted my hours to my boss, one week it was 15, the next week it was 20, the next week it was 35, and the next week it was 65. So, if you were ever wondering where I was, I was probably at work!! :)

In years past, we have done a lot of self realization activities and tests. We've done the colors test, the animals classification, the Myers Briggs test, as well as others. I have always enjoyed doing any sort of test like this because it helps you learn more about yourself. Granted, no one test ever classifies you, and the results could always be different the next time. I think they should be different each time, because that shows that you are growing and changing.

This year, we did something new that I found very beneficial in all aspects of my life. We received the book called Strengths Finder 2.o, which is a book written by Gallup's. With each book there is a code on the back that you can go online with and take a test. The test tells you which of the 34 strengths they have found are your top five. Mine are: Communication, Connectedness, Positivity, Strategic, Ideation. It was really interesting to find out what my five were, and to learn different things about myself as well as my co-workers. The whole books philosophy is that if you stop worrying about fixing your weaknesses, and start playing to your strengths, using them in everything that you do, you will grow and progress more.

I know some people think that things like this are stupid, trendy, and hokey, but I truly believe that you can always learn something new and think in a different way. The book also describes how other people can talk or work with you in your strength, which I found very interesting. I am going to buy Jake a book, so we can learn his five, and I am excited for both of us to learn what makes the other feel strong and ways that we can help or talk to each other. If you enjoy learning about personalities, strengths, how to better yourself, and a different outlook, I would suggest it. You can read mine if you want, but the fun of it is knowing what your five are. I can tell you from personal experience that the things that you are, are never the ones that you would pick for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment