Tuesday, September 1, 2009
I feel so vulnerable
So, we woke up this morning to a call from USAA. We have accounts with them and they called us to notify us that someone was trying to steal from one of our accounts. I guess they traced a few attempted transactions to an Desert Schools ATM. Someone tried to take out $800, then $400, then $200, then $100. Too bad for them, we only had $6 in the account. We were lucky, I guess, if you call having no money being lucky! :) The bank thought that the person must have tried the first amount, and then kept trying smaller amounts hoping to get something. Well we showed him alright! It's all been taken care of now, but I can't shake this feeling of being totally vulnerable. We didn't have any cards stolen, I have no clue where this person got our info, and it bothers me to think that someone had access to our info somehow. It just creeps me out! I pray that this situation doesn't go any further than this one instance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Scary!
ReplyDeleteMy parents had someone buy a textbook from Amazon with their account. They too had no lost or stolen cards...it's amazing how these people gain access.
I'm glad your bank caught it. Did they change all your numbers?
I'm glad it worked out for you! I found out a few months ago when my work did a background check on me that someone else was using my SSN in 2004! Fortunately, there was no police record, or using my money accounts or whatever. They were probably just using it for the citizenship, but it freaked me out anyway! Crazt how someone could just steal things from you, without your knowledge until way later!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThey did change our accounts for this particular account, but we definitely will be watching all of our accounts a little bit closer from now on! I too am really glad that the bank was so on top of it!
ReplyDeleteI had one of my credit card numbers stolen when I bought a plane ticket through one of those online places travelocity or something. It's been years and years ago, but the company caught it before it ever went through. It does make you nervous though.
ReplyDeleteToo bad! I'm glad things worked out okay! I worry about stuff like that. I've heard it happens to one in four people. Crazy! Hopefully it wasn't someone you know!
ReplyDeleteWhoa, scary! We had something similar happen to us, two different $19.95 charge that we didn't authorize. It was a third company of a Foreclosure company we used to see what's available for us here. I immediately notified the bank and they made sure that it was disputed and the name of the company was flagged.
ReplyDeleteI know the only people who know my SS at least is Rio Salado, so they will be my first suspect if my SS get stolen. I ask them all the time if they secure the student IDs as they are also the SS#s. Here, they also ask you to produce any and all important documents just to apply for a state ID including marriage certificate so that scares me that government employees have access to so much... Glad they caught it right away.
Wow that's crazy Tif! So glad you didn't have any money in that account! LOL We have our car insurance through USAA. Glad to know they are doing their job!
ReplyDeleteOh Tiff, here's my new blog address:
ReplyDeletehttp://complicatedsimplicity96.blogspot.com
Hugs, Carolyn
You know, we had the same thing happen with Ryan's account there too. He got his card stolen, but the person was still able to get money out of it for months after he canceled the card. We eventually just closed the account... you can't trust anyone I tell ya!
ReplyDeleteThe one time i had money stolen from my card it was completely my fault. But we've had a car stolen and that really stunk!
ReplyDeleteIt just makes me mad that people would do somethinglike that. Get a life! Rather, get a job!
Happy to hear it tunred out okay for you.
Ahh creepy. That would be so very nerve wracking, I would think where did they steal from us? where were we at?. At least we have the less money thing going on. CRAZY! I am going to put you on my blog again. I don 't know why but some of my blogs got erased after i changed the background if that's okay.
ReplyDelete