Sunday, March 22, 2009

Share the love

I don't even know how to start this post. The other night, I fell asleep totally mad at Jake for a dumb fight, and awoke around 4ish in the morning. Jake was still up doing his homework(which is pretty usual around here), but he was falling asleep. I told him to rest and I would wake him up in a little while. I decided to catch up on my blogging and came across my friend Crystal's newest post. It had a picture of her crying, her husband, and her baby. The post proceeded to share that their youngest child, Sage, had passed away. I very quickly got over whatever the dumb fight was about, and needed Jake to just hold me as I cried. I was floored and have not been able to stop thinking about it since.

Crystal used to live on campus and I had gone to her house a couple of times for Relief Society mid-week activities. From the second I met her, I was impressed by her. I did not really have any friends in the ward and I instantly felt like we could really get along. One of the only times I spent with her was one day, I think I had stayed after an activity, and we talked for hours. About nothing, and everything. I remember being amazed that I was comfortable enough to tell her my deep personal feelings about getting pregnant, not being sealed, and being married young. I was so impressed with how her house was decorated, how it felt homey, how she was thrifty, crafty, open, spiritual, how she was real about stuff and how she could just act normal in front of me. I felt so comfortable in her home, around her family, and I remember that we even got together once as a family and stayed up late just watching a movie and talking all together. Very shortly after I had gotten to know her, they found a house and moved out(very quickly). I didn't even know until weeks later when someone in the ward mentioned they were gone. I was pretty saddened by this and was never able to really get in touch with her again, until this past year with facebook and blogs. You gotta love them!

Even after only really being with Crystal a handful of times, she has really influenced my life in more ways then she will ever know. These are only a few. After learning of her and her family's weight loss with weight watchers, Jake and I started and lost over 60 pounds. She was always my inspiration. She got sealed in the temple with her family and I still wait for that day to come in my life, but her family gives me hope that it will happen one day and we can all be sealed together. She turned me onto the dollar store and how wonderful it is! She would change her house for the seasons, do fun crafts and things with her kids, and make her house a comfortable place for anyone. She would never know it, but I try to do all of those things and I always have her in mind when doing it. I think, "How can I make my house as great as her's was?" I'm still trying. I have been able to read her blog and see how her family has changed since we last saw each other, and every time I read it I think, "I should do that." Her kids are great, well adjusted, happy, and they have the spirit in their home. They read the scriptures, make church covenants, and attend spiritual ceremonies like blessings and baptisms. Crystal and all of her extended family are close and they all meet together, talk about each other and support each other.

I really look up to her and I like to learn of the things that she does with her family. She is a wonderful woman, wife, and mother and I cannot stop thinking of her loss. I'll be brutally honest, it is really hard to not be sealed to your family, and when things like this happen, it just reminds me of it even more. It is hard to know that I made the decision to get married and I was aware that my child (JJ) would not be born into a sealed family. One of the options that I had to consider was adoption, and being 17 at the time, and having several scholarships to college, giving my child the blessing of being with a family that he could be sealed with was an important thing to consider. I had many, many people urge me to do that just that, and especially for the reason that the baby could be sealed to a family with a mother and a father. In the end, and with much prayer, I decided that I wanted my child to be born with HIS mother and father and that WE would be the best loving family for him. Granted, it was hard to know that we would not be sealed yet, but I felt strongly that it would happen one day. I just hope that day is sooner than later. Learning of Crystal's loss, I kept wondering if I was selfish in my choice, if I am doing all I can to help get our family to the temple, what I would do if I lost Jake, JJ, or Luke, or if it would affect Jake and his decisions.

I keep thinking of the picture on her blog, thinking of how perfect her family is, thinking of how they have been sealed together, thinking of her, and wanting to do something for her. Like I said, we only spent time together a handful of times, but I owe a lot of my sanity, and strength, and health to her and her example. I really do love her a lot, and I hope she doesn't think that I am strange and stalkerish(cause I feel like I sound like it), but I cannot stop thinking about her.
I bring all of this up because first of all it's been on my mind every hour, and secondly, I think that she could use all the prayer, love, encouragement and support that she can get. I have seen strangers posting on her blog and I was really touched. Please pray for them, and if you feel like it, post something. http://spencer-crystal5.blogspot.com/You really never know how much you can affect someone and their life. Much love, Tiff

9 comments:

  1. Tiffany,

    I love you as well. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Being sealed is the only thing that has got us through.
    Love Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you and I remember Crystal talking about your visits. She said it was also a comfort to her to have the chance to share her story with you about her and her first born son.(William). I do recall how she was so touched at how the Lord works because he gave her the opportunity to use her trial's to help others (you). It made her feel that she could turn her trials into blessings. Everything you wrote about her is so true. She is a wonderful mother, homemaker, wife and oh so spiritual and the best daughter a mother could ask for. She's not perfect but in my eyes she comes very close. I'm hoping to be able to post the story I wrote about the day Baby Sage passed. It's sad but so sweet. The spirit in that room! You could feel the veil lifted and angels in every corner. The awful thing we just can't bare to think about is she suffered a miscarriage standing there watching her husband perform CPR. She had to leave the room to tend to her self. TWO babies in the same moment! I'm glad you noticed how close she was with her extended family. They have all rallied around her and Spencer. SO many miracles and Gods Tender Mercies have been delivered to our family. Food everywhere you looked within 2 hours of Sages Passing. What a comfort the Gospel is and how wonderful it is to have a Ward Family. We are all truly "Sisters" and "Daughters" of our Heavenly Father. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. You will be sealed to your family one day! Have faith and hope! And when that day comes it will be all the sweeter because you had to work and endure so much to get there.
    Crystal's Mother - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, You are a cherished wife and a treasured mother! You do not need to second guess the decisions you made in the past. You and those you love prayed and were given direction from On High. You are now following that counsel that you received. Rarely do any of our lives work out the way we think they should. No matter, things happen, and we do our very best to make the challenge into a blessing. Just continue loving Jake and taking care of those wonderful babies. Teach them the gospel, the way you already are! All will work out! The hardest thing to do is wait!! But, there truly are blessings waiting for us. We just have to wait for them to come, in the Lord's time! You are loved by many!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, this is such a beautiful tribute to Crystal and it just testifies to me of how much we need each other. I agree with you about everything you wrote about Crystal...she really has been an inspiration for me from the first time I met her. And what you wrote about yourself inspires me, too. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tiffany, I was surfing and came across this blog from a girl I love very much.(Yes You). There isn't anyone that doesn't make a difficult decision at one time or another. Trust me when I say I feel your pain and understand your uncertainty. I think you need to remember that Heavenly Father loves us INDIVIDUALLY. The only way to find peace is to recognize Him and move FORWARD from where you are. He sees the end and the beginning. Our vision can only be based in Faith and Hope. Have faith in what you know and have testimony of. As discouraging as it may seem, never give up hope. Be the example of strength your kids deserve. No second guessing, only look foward. I have a saying that helps me... "We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails". Remember you are truly loved! (Love Sister Stoneman)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiff, I had to post about Crystal too, and how her VT examples have helped me be better at it. I loved her home and I loved hearing about her family and how great they are growing up. I have to wait until Lisa is 18 to have her sealed to me and my husband and like you, I feel that maybe I should be doing more to make it happen sooner. But I've made my choice and have prayed about it, so I know that whatever happens, Heavenly Father knows of my heart's desire to have her sealed to me and will make it happen someday. For trying to be like Crystal and her great ways, you are doing all that you can and you are the best mother for JJ.

    Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too was completely and totally impressed by Crystal. How could you not be? She was about the sweetest person you could ever meet. I think she stands as an example to everyone.
    As for being sealed, I was not sealed to anyone until I married Derek in the temple. My mom and dad were not married in the temple and divorced shortly after I was born. So, my being married to Derek in the temple was one of the most special and important things that's ever happened to me. I don't have any doubt that someday your husband and your children will be sealed to you and it will be the most amazing day--ever. Don't give up your faith in that goal and continue to do all you can to make it happen. It's too important and special and essential to not make it happen. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiff,
    What a sweet post. I remember Crystal too and she is such a sweet person. What a wonderful tribute to her. You will be sealed one day, just keep plunking away little one you and your family will make it! Can't wait to see you guys soon.
    Chell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiffany,
    Here's a tribute to you:
    YOU are doing a great job! You have a sweet little family and you are trying hard and what more can you do? Keep up the good work and the blessings will come!
    Mariley

    ReplyDelete