Monday, March 9, 2009

Emergency Preparedness

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but I usually find myself running to the store with Luke wearing his last diaper. I plan on getting some earlier than that, but it doesn't always happen.

I have had my food storage and emergency preparedness on my mind for a long time now, and have been actually really working on it for about a year. For the past few weeks I feel like I have been thinking about it even more ever since I read
Lori's post about it and after Melissa's bishop asked her family to go on their food storage for 10 days. It has been interesting to hear what she has to say about it. You can read about her experience on her blog.

Back to the diaper issue. On the way to the store this morning, I got thinking about being prepared for Luke. I was also going to the store to buy some gas medicine and pedialyte because he has been screaming in pain since yesterday. (We were trying to take family pictures with
Alacey and he was not a happy camper.)

If there was some sort of disaster and I could not just run to the store to get what I needed, what would I do with Luke? Would I try to make cloth diapers out of whatever I could? Would I want to use my small amount of water to clean them? Would I just let him go without and then clean up after? Would I attempt to potty train? I read an article about how other countries potty train their babies in a magazine a couple of months ago. So it must be do-able.

I have thought about this before, but always planned to do it "one day". I should really think about it today. My kids just grow so fast that I don't buy a lot of diapers for fear of wasting money and not using half of them. In the car, I was thinking that I should buy diapers of all sizes even the ones I need in the future. The easiest solution, that would encourage other people too, would be if there were other moms who would do it too with me, maybe we could swap what we need or don't need anymore. Then none of the money would be wasted. I know I could sell my leftover on craigs list, but I wouldn't want to deal with that if I didn't have to.

I don't know how long the baby medicines last, but I would hate to need something and not be able to help Luke. I'm going to take preparedness more seriously especially with stuff that I need for Luke. Do you have enough stuff for your babies? How do you do it?

4 comments:

  1. We need to talk because I have been thinking and doing the same exact thing. I am a fanatic about food storage and being prepared. I can say I am finally feeling on track to be self-sufficient. Check out foodstoragemadeeasy.com and it gives you good ideas, recipes etc. I love that site. As for the diapers, and medicine, little did you know but medicine lasts FOREVER. I can't remember the exact reference, but expiration dates on meidicine can go for 10-15 YEARS longer than they say. Same with canned foods etc. Kind of frustrating if you're like me and have lived by the expiration dates. Anyways, so with diapers, with couponsense I just pick up extra diapers with it and put that towards storage always get the size larger. Anyways that's just some of my info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I am just getting my stuff together, and it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, when we moved to the campus, I had the same concerns for Ian when he was a toddler, but what I did was I took a count of his "average diaper use" and added three to get to the next full bag plus buy one size bigger, that way, when I collect my coupons and raid the sales, I don't go over board plus if anyone is in my home in need of diapers, which happened quite a bit, I'm ready to help them as well. I tell you the blessings of being ready for your own as well as being able to share with others were just astronomical!
    I agree with a lot of your ideas, but I would rather have one of everything he may need that I can afford and throw or give them away later (most are good for a year and a half) than not have anything and feel awful watching my child be miserable and buy things full price).
    Just like Lori said, it is hard, but you can do it. I just recently felt uneasy about our non-grocery stash too, so almost automatic, I cut all the coupons I needed though they weren't on the ads and chose one store to go to. It turned out that the store had most of what I cut on sale for more than a dollar off, plus B1G1Free, so I quickly stocked up and ended up saving and being under budget! Also, it doesn't hurt to pray for inspiration on what you'll need before you head out...

    Good luck! Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think about this stuff... and get panicked, but then do nothing! Where's my motivation?

    We will be around this weekend. I'd love to see you! Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete