Friday, June 13, 2008

JJ's First Talk

JJ gave his first talk in primary on the 8th. The leader didn't know who JJ was so she decided that he wasn't there and completely skipped over the talk part. The music began playing for the kids to exit and one of the leaders who had noticed us there to watch informed the sister conducting that there was a talk. It was just like a bad movie, the music started and then after some confusion it trailed off and then they announced JJ was going to give a talk. He didn't notice any of it.

He got up and with some help gave a really great talk. He was able to say a lot of it from memory and he held the pictures up well and spoke loud. We had borrowed a picture of the Mesa temple from someone, so for our after talk video, we had already returned it. We obviously used the computer, which has now sparked the idea in Jake's mind that we are going to make a slide show next time around. Yea, that's right, a slide show. It Nathan McCray's idea, but they liked it so much it got all the way to discussions of light shows. Leave it to engineers to think that way!

JJ insisted on always practicing with a microphone because it was his favorite part of the whole thing. When I first was telling him about the talk, he wasn't sure what I was talking about, but he later asked if it was when you use the microphone and that was all he needed to understand.

As a side note, I wanted him to have some pictures to hold, so I went to go buy some and they only had a blue folder with a lot of pictures. I figured that it would be good to have for future talks and lesson and for family home evenings, so I decided I would buy it. (I think my nerves might have pushed me into it too. His talk topic was "The temple is important to me and my family." It a bit of a sensitive subject for me and I was a little nervous talking about it to JJ. In the end, we didn't have to go to far into detail for JJ this time around, but I was very nervous about it all and for some reason I thought pictures would help me with it.)

The lady at the bookstore thought that it was about $18, and I thought that was low, so I assumed it might be $30 or so. In the end, it was $50!!! I thought it might be worth it, so JJ could have some pictures for his talk, and in the end, it had a very limited selection. I couldn't believe it! I'm sure we'll get the use out of it later, but I couldn't believe how much it was for not really having what I needed. The thing is, I couldn't look at it before hand to see if it had what I needed because it was shrink wrapped. The lady said that it should have everything, but oh well. Okay, enough for my long rant.

I am posting this because JJ is loving the computer lately and I thought that if anyone could leave him a comment, I would read it to him. I saw that idea on Audrey's and thought it was cute.

6 comments:

  1. That was awesome JJ!!! I'm sure your parents were so proud of you. I feel so lucky to have been able to see it on the internet!! Very cool. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great talk! Way to go JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! So cute. We have that picture kit, but I don't remember it costing so much! Wow! If it makes you feel better, we use it for just about every FHE we ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so cool JJ! I am impressed that you didn't even need hardly any help! Benson and Hunter think you are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Downy's Rachell Massey here. Just wanted to let you know that we finally got a blog up and running it is jandrmassey.blogspot.com hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete