Thursday, January 12, 2017

My Happiness Project Attempt- 4

To listen to this episode click HERE.

Are you a Marathoner or a Sprinter?

I can answer that before I even start but we'll see what they have to say.....


  • Try at home suggestion; Keep a one sentence journal. She's exactly right about how I plan on a having a wonderful journal experience next to a waterfall. :)  Also, with the guilt you feel after failing again. Her example of how long in between is similar to me. I started one a long time ago with index cards and the days I would do them were so sporatic.  I do enjoy when I come across it and read a couple but I've had trouble with how I want to organize it.  A journal with each day listed? Just go line by line with what I want when I want? I also have trouble keeping things short. Cozi app has helped me the most with small little notes to write memories. I even add pictures. 
  • She says it focuses the memories on happier things because it's small and simple. 
  • She says we overestimate how much we can do in a short amount of time so sometimes that leads to our downfall.  That's probably true.  Small goals will probably help me to do it. On the flip side we underestimate what we can do over a long period of time and how much we can get done. 
  • She says to take a picture and post it but honestly, I don't even know where the one I started forever ago is. :/
  • Marathoners liked to work well in advance and plan things out. Slow. steady work helps them to get things done and adds to their creativity. 
  • She says she used to think that Sprinters that were Marathoners that couldn't get their act together. That's what I've always thought too. They like the intensity, the rush and creativity that it pushes them to create. "If I have too much time, I lose focus, lose momentum, and I don't get anything done."
  • I think I have always thought I needed to be a marathoner to be an adult, but I really am a sprinter.  I do like to have time to think things through and mull on ideas though. It's the strategy strength in me. 
  • She talks about having a boss that's different than what you prefer to do with work. That is very interesting. I think that probably happens often where you feel forced to be one way or another based on what the person is charge thinks needs to happen.  
  • She said there's also procrastinators, who are forced to work against a deadline, but they don't like it and they feel like they havcn't done a good job. Because they are anxious about the work, they put it off but aren't satisfied in the end and think they should have started earlier.  A sprinter will be happy with their work. 
  • If you are a sprinter acknowledge that about yourself and don't feel guilty.  THIS IS ME. I have always thought that I was a procrastinator, but I'm really not.  I do like to think of things ovcr a long period of time so I have a little bit of marathoner in me, but usually that just wears we out. I am energized and do my best work close to a deadline.  I like it that way. I'm going to try to not feel less than, or guilty about it anymore. 
  • Everyone is taught to be a marathoner. We're taught that's best.  We need to do whatever works for you.  There is more of a cushion when you are a marathoner and you have time if something comes up. 
  • Everyone needs to be able to work in their best way that helps the whole group. 
  • Question is about how long it takes to make a habit stick. They talk about how some habits are super quick to stick, especially bad habits. Strategy of the lightening bolt, when something happens fast and the habit or thought sticks super fast. Averages that are given about how habits stick are not really telling us anything. 
  • Happiness demerit: She went on a hike, wanted chips, ran an errand, bought a bag of chips, and sat in the parking lot and ate the bag of chips while listening to the radio. She felt gross and was annoyed at herself sitting there. I've been there before, a little more often than not lately. She uses the example of a mom with 4 screaming kids, so maybe I don't feel as bad about myself. 
  • Gold Star: "The things that go wrong often make the best memories"- her mom said it when she was stressing about her wedding. It frames the negative in a positive way.  

What do you think you are? A Marathoner or a Sprinter? I'm a Sprinter who has always felt like a procrasticator and "less than" because I know a lot of marathoners (who I always imagine must think that I'm lazy) but I do like time to think things over ahead of time.  I think I'm going to work on being okay with the fact that I can work on it closer to deadline because that works well with me and not hating myself for it. Tell me your thoughts. 

1 comment: