So, that following Monday after we were notified by text of Jake's getting the officer position, he received an email that said he would now need to go to MEPS, military entrance processing station, for his physical to make sure that he passed those requirements. It would have to be done within 30 days. That's all the "details" we were given. Okay, great, more waiting. He replied back that he could do it within the next week and after a few days back and forth, and a little bit of filling out paperwork, he was scheduled to go in for his MEPS test on Tuesday, today. According to his height measurements, he was/is allowed to weigh 202 lbs, but the recruiter said that he should make sure to be below that in case they measure his height as lower than he plans because that would lower the weight requirement by at least five pounds. He has been biking, running, and eating carefully for the past couple weeks, but we were nervous as it got closer. It just takes one little thing for them to disqualify him, and the way they phrased it was that he would "lose the job". It didn't really sound like there would be second chances. He had to be there at 5:30 this morning and was told it could take all day. He ended up being done around 2pm. He ended up being 8 lbs under what he needed to be and he passed it all! (Except for the depth perception test, but he's still a go) He had to fill out more paperwork and then he was sworn into the DEP, delayed enlistment program. His current rank is E5 which means for now he is an inactive Air Force Reserve, with no benefits or pay yet. Now, we have been told that he will hear when he is leaving within the next 60 days. So more waiting. The next start dates that are listed online for OTS, officer training school, are November 1st, and January 10th. Of course it would be nicest if we could get the January one since I am having a baby in November, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Once he goes, he will be gone for 3 months. No, I am not planning on taking the kids and following him there. No, we are not certain on what we are planning on doing with the house. Yes, we will more than likely be moving. Not sure when. He will submit our top five choices while he's at training. Not sure when we will find out what they decide. Yes, I am happy, excited, sad, scared, proud, stressed, and all of the above at the same time. It changes from minute to minute.
On a separate note, JJ took his Taekwondo test on Saturday and today has graduated from a yellow to a green belt. So proud of him! Big day for two of my boys!!!
I guess it was a good day for Luke too. He decided with great conviction and a light up sword Grandma recently gave him, "Mom, swords are my destiny!" So ya, big day for all of them. :)
Another story of Luke: Jake shaved last night and left early this morning, so Luke didn't see him until after work. As soon as Jake walked in the door Luke looked at him weird and said, "You're not like Daddy!" He looked so confused. He kept looking at pictures of Jake with facial hair and showing Jake it was not "same same". I guess it HAS been a long time since we've seen Jake's chin and upper lip. :)
Went to the doc yesterday who told me that baby is good and apparently was breech but recently flipped. Don't know why I wasn't told that before. It makes sense now, all the movement I have been feeling, but I'm glad all is okay now.
I also had one of my pictures from how we announced the gender of our baby posted on
The Dating Divas site! I LOVE that blog if you haven't checked them out yet!! Been pretty stoked about being associated with them at all.
 |
| Before |
 |
| Green belt |
 |
| After. This is the face I got when I told him I needed a picture for the blog. Thanks hun!!! :) |
Hey Tiffany! My husband is doing the same thing! He was gone for basic training Jan-April 1 of this year. Now he's going back to school to get his Master's and do ROTC, so he'll come out an officer. Then he's going to flight school! Whew! It really is going to benefit your family so much! The time away is hard but the benefits are STELLAR! I wish you all the best and am very excited for you!
ReplyDeleteOMG, that was a lot of acronymns!! :) And the first thing to come to mind when I see AF will always be American Fork. Sorry, I will have to retrain my brain. So, so happy for you! Congratulations is such an understated word for how happy I am for you! TTFN, and TTYS!!
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you guys! My brother had to go to officer training and will be off somewhere(they aren't sure where yet) to a flight training program in the next little while. He's going to be a pilot. I hope he can get the Jan 10 spot! Hope to see you tomorrow at book club, we can chat more!
ReplyDelete