Friday, April 3, 2009

Tell me I'm not the only one

I went to the dollar store earlier this week with Luke. As I had gotten him out of the car seat, I could smell that he needed to be changed and when I looked in the diaper bag(which Jake had packed), there was only one diaper. So, I decided I would wait to make sure he was done. We were in Tempe and I didn't want to use the last diaper and then need one again in five minutes.

I walked in and put him the cart, noticing his pants were a little wet, but sometimes his sippy cup leaks, so I assumed that was the problem. I proceeded down the first two aisles, which had all of the stuff I needed so my cart was filling up fast. The smell and thought of wet pants was bugging me so I decided to just go out and change him. I just left my cart, hoping it would still be there when I came back, and went out to the car. I thought it would be just a quick change, no problem, but oh no, it wasn't so easy.

I know what your thinking, "Again with the personal details of your families toilet troubles! Really?!" All I have to say is, "Yes...again." It seems to be a daily ordeal around here, I don't know if it's just that I have kids, or two boys, or just THESE boys, but it's a usual thing.

I will spare you the details, but I had to use half the wipies from a brand new pack, clean off his onesie, his pants, and his body and once done and changed into the last diaper, I find there are no extra clothes in the diaper bag. I look around and there's none in the car, not even just a shirt or pants, there was nothing. I was even willing to go for a shirt of JJ's but no luck.

At this point I had to decide that I could not go back into the store. Not only was I shopping at a cheapo dollar store in Tempe, but to go in, (even if I went in only to empty out the cart) with a baby in just a diaper...how much more WT could I get!! I hated to do it, but I just left. I don't know why leaving the cart bothered me so much, but I just feel bad for whoever finds it and then wonders what to do with it. Is the person coming back, did they just leave for a little bit?

We went to go get Jake for lunch and I made him go to the ASU bookstore to buy Luke something to wear, while we waited in the car. I could have tried to look at the dollar store, but like I said, I was not going to walk in there with a baby in a diaper on my hip and buy some clothes to dress him in. After getting clothes(size 4T, cause they were on sale and the other option was 6 months which fit Luke when he was born) we went to lunch.

After dropping Jake off at his car, I thought I would try the dollar store again. Once inside, I see the cart is still there, not even moved and inch and all items still intact...AWESOME!! Needless to say, I got my shopping done, didn't need another diaper till we got home, and Luke got a new outfit that he can wear until he's 4.

I've had to leave my cart before and I never know what to do, do I tell a worker that I'm leaving and don't need it all, put some or all of it back, or just walk out and not look back. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has thought about this or done it.

6 comments:

  1. You're definitely not a lone. I have learned over time to ALWAYS keep extra diapers in the truck because of many mishaps with the diaper bag. The clothes situation, I think you could have taken him in the dollar store. You would have had several funny looks, but I am sure more could relate to you than you think. Its actually pretty funny when you think about it. Sorry Tiff, its just the joys of motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff, no you're not alone... ;-)

    We've had instances of not having clothes or wipes, in the diaper bag because one of the kids would take me literally and just fill it up with diapers! Even Charlie would just look for diapers and wipes, see them and be happy with it! LOL

    I learned quickly to have extras in our car, in a separate bag we put in the trunk. That way, no one accidentally takes it in and we forget. We've had to buy Ian clothes in the mall because of no clothes incidents from leaks and accidents. It is funny to see Charlie stress out over who's going to watch Ian and shop since he doesn't want to change him. So I would tell him to take him to a corner where they won't bother anyone, give me 5 minutes to pick and pay, then I change him in the bathroom. I ask for two bags- I tell them that I need it for dirty diapers and stores are more than happy to accomodate me! ;-)

    Chuck it some good memories to laugh about later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO not alone! I've had that happen to me several times... I've learned to just keep an extra set of clothes in the car (remember to change them out, though, otherwise you'll be squeezing your 3-year-old into 12-month clothes). :)

    As far as shopping carts go, two week ago I went grocery shopping and bought a ton of food. I got to the register and realized that Mike had borrowed my debit card without telling me (his new one hadn't arrived in the mail yet). I had to leave the whole cart there, and I wanted to die I was so embarrassed, and felt so bad for the people who had to put it all away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a half naked baby is always cute :) It's getting warmer outside anyway. I have bought Keaton shoes and put them on at the store. I went up to the register with just the tag...my poor shoeless son. On another note a few weekends ago all of Desert Schools visa debit system was down...lots of embarassed people who's cards were saying declined had to leave their stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Tiff. Yes sweetie you are so NOT alone. When K1 was little I had on a white dress in Atlanta about 2 1/2 hours from our house. We went into a book store and I was carrying him on my hip. There I am in this bookstore kid in tow when all of the sudden he lets out the biggest diarhea poop ever. Not only did it come out of his diaper and his pants, but it was running down the side of my dress. So, we go running out of the store to the car (not the van) and we are driving the car not the van are you with me. The EXTRA clothes were in the van at home. NO...I was in tears. We were 2 1/2 hours from home and no extra clothes. YUCK! I cleaned him up as best as I could and cleaned my dress off as best as I could, but the smell oh the smell. So, we went to the nearest K-mart and bought new clothes for him and a t-shirt and sweats for me. Needless to say even putting the dress in a zip=loc bag in the trunk still did not get rid of the smell. I was soo grossed out I almost hurled several times on the way home. Oh and why does it always happen to us and not the hubby's? Or when we do not have them with us either? uuuggghhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there, done that! Your boys are getting big. Your oldest son totally looks like your hubby! Cute! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete