I love to cook and experiment with food, but I am feeling a bit in a rut. I need some snack ideas. I really need to get more focused on getting in better shape, so I would like some ideas of yummy and easy healthy snacks. I also need some ideas for during or after school snacks for JJ. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this, but please... help me!!
If it makes you feel any better, I have trouble with this all the time. I feel like our snacks are so boring.
ReplyDeleteSome things I do are sliced apple (with or without peanut butter). A secret- you can slice apple, soak it in salt water for about 5 minutes and it won't go brown for a long time.
I love celery with cream cheese.
Trail mix (nuts, raisins, a few m&ms)
Choc. Chip Cookies (woops, I didn't mean to say that one!)
Fruit- grapes, strawberries, whatever
Cheese! We love cheese! MJ went through a phase where he asked for it all the time! I would just cut it into cubes and put it in a little cup for him to carry around.
Water! I try to drink a lot of water to keep my full... sometimes our bodies try to trick us into thinking we're hungry when we're really just thirsty (same goes for salt, we crave salt when we need water- sometimes).
I think I've said enough! I want to see what everyone else writes!
(OH yeah, I eat cereal late at night when I get hungry. I know it's not the healthiest, but it's better than icecream!)
Healthy things we snack on: granola, trail mix, string cheese, grapes, low-sugar whole grain cereal (such as Kix or Cheerios).
ReplyDeleteCheck out my blog and go to the labels...you'll find a recipe label and all sorts of recipes I have posted..none of them are snacky but hopefully it gets the juices flowing!
ReplyDeleteI love Craisins and so does Owen. I also loved dried mangos. I will sometimes mix the craisins with almonds and that's healthy and filling.
ReplyDeleteMy kids love to have tortillas with peanut butter and honey on them. Not crazy healthy, but definitely not bad.
I have a hard time coming up with meals and snacks for Anna too. I generally just feed her a side of something I might eat for a meal. Like peas, corn, scrambled eggs, raisins, grapes, diced peaches, shreaded cheese, animal crackers (they have 10% calcium), cereal is a good snack, nuts, yogurt, cheese and crackers, quesadillas, grilled cheese.... kids need lots of carbs, it's us adults who need to be carefull. Eat small portions and wait a little bit to see if you still feel hungry. Sometimes it takes time for your brain to get the message your full. Drink water, sometimes we feel hungry when our bodies are actually hungry. I knew someone, all he changed about his diet was drinking soda and he lost 6 pounds. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOne snack my kids LOVE is pretzels and cream cheese. to make it more fun, I mix blue food coloring into the cream cheese and spread it on a plate, then I sprinkle goldfish crackers on top (like fish in the ocean) and they use their pretzel sticks like fishing poles to get the fishies out. That's kind of involved, but they really do like it just the normal way too :o) Have you ever tried carrot and raisin salad? I know it sound weird, but it's a pretty popular southern side dish. Here's a link to it http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1943,156191-239203,00.html (I'm scared to try it, so just try it on other people recommendation, LOL). I also just like snacking on toasted almonds- you can add flavors when you toast them if you want and almonds are really good for you. now that this comment is fifty pages long, I guess I better stop typing... really, I'll stop in a minute.... ack! cant....stop...the....fingers............ 'aow;8e5t;-[t!
ReplyDeleteOOOH!! I forgot one and Audrey's comment reminded me! We really like homemade cinnimon tortilla chips. all you do it brush water onto a tortilla and then sprinkle with cinnimon and sugar (or cinnimon and splenda) and then cut it up like a pizza and bake on 300 degrees until slightly browned and crispy (they get crispier as they cool, if I remember right- I don't remember how long, just try it out and see. Yummy and pretty healthy (even if you dont use the splenda!)
ReplyDelete