Click HERE for Episode 2:
- Set an alarm to signal your bedtime
- This means I need to pick a set bedtime first and then I'l make an alarm. Even if I don't go to bed at that time, I'll at least see the alarm and start learning that I need to get to bed then.
- I've never been very good at this because I like my freedom and I feel too rigid when I'm on a schedule, but I think it will help. They say adults need 7 hours of sleep. I'm going to pick when I need to be up and then count backward. It's going to be hard for me and/or our family. I think it's going to be really good. I've been struggling with sleep for a long time with this depression. I either have insomnia or I want to sleep all day and night. I also have been having some iron deficiency. Even if I don't get the sleep pattern like I want, I can at least set an alarm and start that practice.
- Some people including me will get a second wind from tv, phones, reading, etc. and they won't be sleepy anymore. I need to find a way to avoid this.
- We adjust to sleep deprivation. A lot of people think that they are fine but what we don't realize is they are actually impaired and don't realize it. When the time changes each year, there are less accidents because people are more rested. Interesting.
- Are you an abstainer or a moderator?
- Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult. - From a book
- He'd rather have nothing than just have a little of it.
- Abstainers are all or nothing. They can't have just a little they have to have the entire bowl of ice cream, all the brownies. They find it easy to give up something all together.
- Moderators get panicky and rebellious is they are told they can't have something and they do better when they can have a little of something or a few bites. They don't want to tell themselves no or never. They indulge moderately. They want to tell themselves they can have a little. - THIS IS SO ME
- I have never understood people who eat all the cookies or brownies. I can have one or two and be okay to stop. I always thought people were exaggerating when they talked about no self restraint but I have come to realize that it's more of a strength that I have that I can limit myself. I absolutely don't like when I'm told I can't have something though. That is something I don't do well with. I go the opposite way and overindulge because I don't like to be told I can't.
- She says most people think abstaining means you'd have to have great self discipline and that's what I've always thought, but she's saying the easy/lazy way is abstaining. That sounds so crazy to me.
- It's not just food, it can be technology too. Video games, computer time, apps (candy crush is their example).
- She calls her the "Happiness Bully"- that's awesome. I want to be that.
- "What was your biggest misconception about happiness before you wrote your first book about it?"
- Novelty and challenge makes people happier according to research. Even going to a new restaurant.
- She thought familiarity and mastery are the secrets to happiness because she likes the same things and going to the same places. She started testing with her blog though and it made her feel dumb at first but because it was new and challenging it helped her grown and it brings her a lot of happiness now.
- Novelty and challenge, there's a period of uncertainty and when you push through it you get to a happiness boost.
- Happiness demerit- not cancelling a kindergarten interview in time because she wanted to just get it over with and in the end he was miserable and they looked ridiculous.
- Gold Star to mother- "The update" They went home for a high school reunion. She mentions the phenomenon of people you see often you have a million things to say and people you see rarely it works out, "what's up" "nothing" and you have barely anything to say. Why don't we try to keep each other in the loop more. Regularly check in and it's okay to be boring. Daily minutia. It makes you feel more connected to everyone. It makes it so everyone can ask questions and be engaged. It really only takes a minute and if you let yourself be boring it can be done quickly but it makes them very happy.
- I heard about this from my friend who recommended the podcast and it is ultimately what made me intrigued about the whole thing. She seemed so happy when talking about it and it made me want to be in touch with my family more about the little things. I already know I am bad at that, and I've been in a weird funk with my parents so we are all majorly out of the loop with each other. I love when we all get together for reunions, which is hardly ever, but we have coined the term "binge bonding" because we stay up late, catch up, fill each other in on years worth of information. I am going to attempt this one but haven't yet decided how.
*Edit: Since listening to this podcast I have been trying to be more aware of my bedtime and sleeping which in turn has made me feel like a huge failure this week. I'll have to give myself credit with the fact that I've been having dental work lately and the dentist prescribed me some sleeping pills to help me be less anxious about appointments. I take one at night and another one hour before the appointment. I've been doing this at least once a week for a past few weeks and man has it messed me up! I came back from my appointment and was dead to the world until 1pm. Then that night I didn't fall asleep until 5 am which is when I usually get up to crossfit. I decided to sleep and then had to get up to deal with kids at 7. Then rested for an hour or so at 3 pm. Then tried to get to bed at a normal time and had to take a few pills to force myself to sleep again. I did get a solid 8+ hours so now I feel like a new woman but I'm ready to tackle the idea of setting an alarm and being good about a bedtime to get back on track.
My family has a FB group for my sisters and my mom. And this week we started writing all the "boring stuff". It's actually been really fun and helping us get more connected since we all live far away. Ever since I started having kidney problems, I haven't had a problem with going to bed early (since I'm SO exhausted), but I tend to sleep in longer than I need to. So this past week I tried to get to bed at the first sign of feeling tired and set an alarm to get me up by 6. It's worked out ok, although I had a particularly stressful day 2 days ago, so it set me in sort of a recovery funk. Overall, I'm liking this regularly getting to sleep earlier. I didn't set an alarm, just listened to my body. That way I don't feel like I'm being told what to do (I have a hard time with that.) most nights I've been asleep between 8-9:30, and it's been really nice. I'm a recovering night owl, so this is pretty big for me! I've also got to do more with the one minute rule, but I get overwhelmed easily. So I'm just trying a little at a time. Love your blog!!
ReplyDelete