Monday, October 24, 2011

Hi, My name is Tiffany, and I have Pica

I was reading my daily pregnancy calendar on my phone way back in September, and here was the entry....

"Strange but true: Some pregnant women develop the urge to eat dirt, ashes, clay, chalk, ice, laundry starch, baking soda, soap, toothpaste, paint chips, plaster, wax, hair, coffee grounds, and even cigarette butts.  This phenomenon is called pica (which is Latin for magpie, a bird that will eat almost anything).

The cause of these cravings isn't entirely understood, but a combination of biochemical, psychological, and cultural factors may be at work.  In some studies, these bizarre cravings have been linked to an iron deficiency - even though non of the craved items contain a significant amount of iron.

........... Meanwhile, don't consume any non-food items you're craving (with the exception of ice.) Eating these substances can interfere with your baby's ability to absorb nutrients and may even cause a deficiency.  And eating dirt and most other items mentioned can lead to illness, such as lead poisoning or bowel blockage, or in rare cases, even death."

Yes, I do have pica, for the third time now.  I had it when I was pregnant with JJ, with Luke, and now with our newest little man.  Each time I thought I was crazy.  Each time I told myself it was mental and that I could get over it and didn't NEED what I wanted.  Each time I was wrong! I want it sooooo bad! I can't go without it, and a lot of it! Before you think I'm too crazy, I will tell you that it's just ice.  I'm not crazy like all those other psycho pica pregnant ladies, I'm the NORMAL one! :)  When I read the calendar info to Jake, he just HAD to point out that they say it might be a "psychological" problem.

I don't know what it is though, I really thought I'd be fine this time around, but it's just as bad if not the worst of all my pregnancy pica episodes.  I've always liked ice, you know especially the places with good ice like Sonic.  You know what I mean.  With JJ's pregnancy, it was ice, any ice, but I preferred the Sonic ice.  With Luke, it could be satisfied with any ice, but I really went through a lot of Sonic ice, bagged, in cups, any way I could get it.  This time, it's gots to be QT crushed ice!  I have had some Sonic, some that are similar to that ice from other restaurants, I have even tried to make it cheaper on us by buying the bagged QT ice, but nope, it just WON'T do.  It has to be out of the fountain and into a styrofoam cup!  I try not to, but I might get up to four cups of this stuff a day.  The QT people know me.  I save my cups to try to save money by doing refills.  I try to get soda with the ice, to not waste the empty space in the cup, just to come home and dump it into other cups so it won't melt my precious ice.  It's been pretty bad.  If you've seen me with a couple soda cups at a time, this might all make sense now.  I wasn't drinking soda, I just NEED the ice.  At least it's the ONE thing that pica people are allowed to eat!

I did look into my iron when I was pregnant with Luke, and this time around, and I was/am on the lower side, but he said that I was within the okay range and not to worry.  Don't think that this is the only thing I have craved, but it is by far, THE thing.  Luckily it didn't kick in until later in pregnancy, like it always does, or else QT really would have all of our money.  I feel like I should own part of the company for how much I go there.  They should have punch cards, and believe you me, I have told them that. Several times.

Some other cravings I had earlier on this pregnancy: jamba juice, homemade orange julius, Del Taco soft tacos (this one was another intense one and for a long time), ice cream, sherbert, and lately it's been chocolate.  I'll have to ask Jake what else he remembers.  I don't know how I'm going to blog anymore with Jake gone.  I always need him to help me remember things right, or check if I'm making sense. I guess I'll have plenty of time now to blog on time and not months after the fact, so maybe that will help. :)

Jake leaves next Monday, so in 7 days. Ahhhhh! We have been crazy busy trying to get things in order, as much as we can.  Everyday the list and priorities change.  I decide to take more on my plate and just deal with it when he leaves because I would rather spend time with him while he's here.  My best friend came over the other day so we could go on a date together.  We went to the movies, then Jake surprised me by taking me to a candy store (he knows the way to my heart!) and ended the night by eating at one of our favorite Thai food places.  I feel like I have an Arizona bucket list that I feel we need to fulfill before we move.  I know we'll be back to AZ, but I want to eat/visit/do stuff all one last time before we leave.  I'm thinking I'll make a list and it will keep me busy while Jake's gone.  He has been letting his hair grow until he absolutely has to cut it before he leaves, so he looks all scruffy, but that will change soon enough.  I've told him that I don't know how long it will be until I see him again with facial hair, or longer hair, or sideburns.  That's how I've always known him.   Yes, he was the one guy in high school who actually had facial hair.  I've gotten on a tangent, but I just wanted to update....he's leaving....soon.....less than a week.....so I probably won't blog again until he's gone, and it might be a sappy one, a depressed one, or a "let's get this blog back in order" one.  Who knows? We'll see how I feel.    

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I can definitely hear your "voice!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister-in-law craves chalk when she's pregnant. You guys should start a group on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you!! And yes I totally remember your ice cravings with JJ and Luke. That's funny. But I am thinking of you and you should add going to Thatcher to your bucket list :) Just saying. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete