I just had the most amazing experience and I wanted to write it down immediately so I won't forget a single thing. It's Christmas Eve and we have been spending time with family, had no time to wrap a single present(and I'm not exaggerating, not a single one), and we just had family over for some snacks and presents. Last minute we realized that Jake needed to go all the way back to Glendale to get our other car, so it was just me and the boys.
I had just put them into bed, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I have not done a good enough job this year talking about the story of Christ's birth, all the symbolism, and making Christ a big part of our Christmas. In general I felt like I didn't get to do a lot of what I wanted this time around, but I was feeling especially regretful of the lack of spiritual experiences I've given my kids this year.
I got up off the couch and went to see if JJ was asleep and I startled him because he was trying with all his might to fall asleep so Santa could come, but he was awake. I told him that I felt like I didn't do a good job of telling him more about the story of Christ's birth and that I wanted to tell it to him before he went to sleep.
I didn't have my scripture with me. I didn't use a nativity. I didn't use pictures. I didn't use songs. I just told him the story as if it was just some girl named Mary and some boy named Joseph. We had some good discussion including his concern about there being no doctor for her and how was she going to push the baby out without one, and what the heck the gifts from the wise men were. I told him that I wanted him to know the story and even though everything else about Christmas is exciting, we need to remember Christ and his birth during this time.
He then looked at me and said that his heart felt like love was just shooting out of it in streams and it was spreading everywhere as he motioned with his hands. I smiled and explained to him that what he was feeling was the Holy Ghost and how special it was that he was feeling that. His eyes began to well up as he had a huge grin. I told him that when he gets baptized he will have the Holy Ghost with him all the time to help him make good choices and feel those feelings in his heart all the time.
I told him that the having those feelings meant that he knows that story is true, that he has a testimony of the story of Christ's birth and he knows it's true because he could feel it in his heart. He lounged toward me with tears streaming down his face and hugged me so tight and just cried. It was the most amazing feeling to be there with him knowing that he was so touched by the spirit. I wish Jake could have been there with us, but this was such a beautiful moment between JJ and I, and I will cherish it my entire life. I will try harder next year to do more throughout the season, but it's one of those rare moments where I feel like a good mother, a good spiritual guide to my son. I don't think any gift could top this feeling I have right now. I'll accept some though just to see. :)
That is so special. Thank you for sharing that Tiffany.
ReplyDeleteThat's so great. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteawesome story GF! Thanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful memory you'll have of this christmas. I bet you'll have more of those moments as you follow through on your "every worthy prompting/thought."
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing experience as a Mom!!!
ReplyDeleteI felt the spirit so strongly just reading that. What a sweet boy and what a sweet mom!
ReplyDeleteYou look way hot in those Christmas tree pictures, by the way:)